Promotion of Workplace Health and Safety
The Kyowa Kirin Group promotes Kenko Keiei,*1 or health and productivity management, in its belief that the sound development of a company depends upon the sound bodies and minds of each and every of its employees.
lol下注By practicing health and productivity management across the entire Group, we aim to build workplace environments where all employees can make maximum use of their strength, while at the same time leading fulfilling personal and work lives and achieving sustainable corporate growth.
Initiatives for Health and Productivity Management
Policy for Health and Productivity Management
In May 2015, our top management team announced the Declaration of Health Promotion and initiated the Kyowa Kirin Group Wellness Action 2020 through collaboration between the Company and its health insurance association.*2
Upholding the goal of helping employees achieve healthy, fulfilling and high-quality lives, we have set a Group-wide direction, toward which we implement initiatives under four themes: lifestyle improvement, cancer prevention, measures against stress, and work-style reform.
Kyowa Kirin Group Declaration of Health Promotion
The Kyowa Kirin Group declares it will promote the health of its employees with the aim of enhancing their lifelong quality of life.
While employees make spontaneous efforts to improve their own health, the Group aspires to promote its employees' health from a preventive perspective, aiming for a higher level of health.
The Group implements measures to motivate each and every employee to take actions for improving their health, and to help them sustain such actions.
Conceptual Framework of the Kyowa Kirin Group's Health and Productivity Management
Kyowa Kirin Group's Health and Productivity Management
The human resources director of Kyowa Kirin heads up our initiatives to promote health and productivity management, which are operated by the Collaborative Health Promotion Committee composed of representatives of each business site and the Working-Level Conference for Collaborative Health Promotion. Committee members and working-level staff collaborate with industrial physicians, public health nurses and occupational health and safety divisions to execute initiatives tailored to the characteristics of each business site.
The progress achieved with regard to the initiatives is discussed and monitored at the Executive Committee and the Group CSR Committee.
We implement Group-wide measures for health promotion and disease prevention, as well as individual measures at each business site.
lol下注Our health insurance association issues an annual Health Report, in which trends in illnesses by age group and lifestyle survey results are introduced to illuminate the Company’s health-related issues and raise employees’ health awareness.
Examples of Group-wide measures
- Strengthened our regular physical checkup program with additional test items, exceeding legal requirements (e.g., biochemical tests, cancer screenings)
- Program to protect high-risk individuals from aggravation
- Lectures on health-related topics
- Mental health counseling service and training programs offered by industrial physicians and contractors
- Walking events and other sporting meets
- Discounts on sports club membership
- Financial support for medical care to quit smoking and anti-smoking medication
- Financial support for preventing diseases (e.g., comprehensive health checkup, seasonal flu shot, elimination of Helicobacter pylori infection)
- Support for employees undergoing cancer treatment while continuing to work (available only at Kyowa Kirin); and support for employees returning to work after a long period of sick leave
- Issuing of Health Report
Individual measures at each business site
No smoking policy declared by the heads of each business site
lol下注Health support program (sleep support)
lol下注Healthy menu and complimentary salad offered at worksite cafeteria
Business sites implementing individual measures (including affiliated companies)
FY 2018 : 10 business sites; 16 measures
FY 2019 First half : 9 business sites; 12 measures
Feedback from participants
Mental health seminar: “The casework was very practical and beneficial.”
Physical exercise program: “I was able to flex my body and get some exercise for a change.”
lol下注 Seminar on breast cancer prevention and treating breast cancer while continuing to work: “The seminar raised my awareness of cancer prevention, and made me feel that I should take pride in working as a pharmaceutical company employee.”
Assessing Measures and Making Improvements
lol下注In June 2018, we formulated the Kyowa Kirin Group Wellness Action 2020 GOALS to implement the plan-do-check-act (PDCA) cycle in our health and productivity management initiatives. By achieving our six numerical targets, we aim to minimize health-related risks and promote positive and vigorous workplaces.
Kyowa Kirin Group Wellness Action 2020 GOALS(Numerical Targets)
Progress Achieved in Initial Fiscal Year
While monitoring the progress achieved at each business site, we strive to evaluate and improve our initiatives by creating opportunities to share our issues with the top management.
You can see this table by scrolling horizontally.
|Indicator||Employees undergoing regular health checkups||High-risk individuals receiving medical care||Annual leave used||Employees engaged in appropriate amount of exercise||Employees who smoke|
|Before initiative was introduced||96%||54%||71%||35%||22%|
|FY 2018 results||99.9%||83%||72%||54%||18%|
- Note:The percentage of workplaces implementing measures for positive mental health is scheduled to be aggregated starting in 2019.
Kyowa Kirin was recognized as a 2020 Certified Health and Productivity Management Organization (White 500)*3lol下注 for having met a prescribed standard in the Survey on Health and Productivity Management implemented by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. The certification was received over four consecutive years since the program was commenced.
- *1:The term "Kenko Keiei (health and productivity management)" is a registered trademark of the Workshop for the Management of Health on Company and Employee.
- *2:The policy and initiatives for health and productivity management are shared across the entire Kyowa Kirin Group, and practiced by each of the Group companies below:
- *3:The Certified Health & Productivity Management Organization Recognition Program endeavors to highlight outstanding enterprises engaged in efforts to advance health and productivity management and thereby aims to organize an environment in which such enterprises are able to gain enhanced public recognition, e.g., from employees, employment seekers, related enterprises and financial institutions, as organizations engaging in strategic health and productivity management efforts for maintaining their employees' health from a management perspective. Certifications under the program began in 2017.
Occupational Health and Safety
lol下注To prevent industrial accidents, the Kyowa Kirin Group conducts risk assessments at each business site as part of its daily production or research activities and prior to construction work. By timely employing external consultants in safety audits, we are trying to understand issues faced by plants from a multifaceted perspective for further improvements. Health and Safety training is provided annually to newly appointed managers and safety management staff in order to promote safety awareness. Health and Safety activities are checked through risk management programs and audit, and the results are discussed by the Group CSR Committee and reported to the Board of Directors to be reflected in the action policy for the following year.
Kyowa Kirin Group Policy for Occupational Health and Safety
lol下注Established on November 22, 2018
lol下注We at the Kyowa Kirin Group (hereafter referred to as "Our Group") believe that ensuring the health and safety of all its employees is crucial in fulfilling its management philosophy of "striving to contribute to the health and well-being of people around the world by creating new value through the pursuit of advances in life sciences and technologies." Therefore we engage in ongoing activities to prevent occupational accidents and disasters. Our aim is to foster a deeply rooted culture that encourages each and every employee to think and act on their own accord so that the standards of Our Group's occupational health and safety can be enhanced.
- 1.By operating our management system for occupational health and safety, we promote ongoing improvements with the aim of enhancing Our Group's health and safety standards.
- 2.We strive to prevent occupational accidents and disasters by identifying and assessing sources of hazards in workplaces and taking measures to eliminate or reduce the identified risks.
- 3.We comply with laws and regulations concerning occupational health and safety in the countries and regions where Our Group conducts business activities, and make ongoing efforts to ensure the health and safety of our employees.
- 4.We implement education, training and awareness activities on occupational health and safety in a rigorous and systematic manner with the aim of raising employee awareness.
- 5.We actively encourage communication between the employer and each employee indispensable for ensuring employee health and safety, and implement health and safety activities engaging all employees.
In 2018, there were two accidents that required time off from work across the plants and research laboratories of Kyowa Kirin, Kyowa Medex, Kyowa Hakko Bio and Kyowa Pharma Chemical. The accident frequency rate*1 was 0.36 and the accident severity rate*2 was 0.011. We strive to prevent recurrence by sharing across the Group case examples of accidents that required no time off from work and close calls.
- *1:Accident frequency rate: The number of fatal and lost time accidents per million working hours
- *2:Accident severity rate: The number of lost days per 1,000 working hours
- *3:For the domestic plants and research laboratories of Kyowa Kirin, Kyowa Medex, Kyowa Hakko Bio and Kyowa Pharma Chemical.
In the event that an explosion or fire or a natural disaster such as an earthquake causes damage to one or more of our plants, the Kyowa Kirin Group's rule is to establish a crisis management division or a large-scale disaster management division led by top management to engage in rescue operations and support the site's restoration activities. Each plant has its own disaster response scheme and holds regular disaster drills to minimize the damage caused by a disaster.
Promotion of Safe Driving
lol下注Kyowa Kirin has a fleet of around 1,300 vehicles driven by sales representatives. To prevent accidents, we strive to promote safe driving using diverse approaches, including implementing measures to prevent risks and allocating effective resources for safe driving, in addition to raising safety awareness among drivers.
lol下注In 2008, we introduced a safe driving training program in which the driving skills of primarily new employees are assessed on a five-point scale to help them enhance their driving techniques and safety awareness. To support inexperienced drivers, driving recorders are installed in their vehicles. Furthermore, we introduced the pre-crash safety system into all our vehicles. As a result of these efforts, we are beginning to show results in the reduction of traffic accidents.