Material Balance and Environmental Accounting
The Kyowa Kirin Group strives to reduce its environmental impacts. The following shows an overview of our environmental impacts in fiscal 2018 imposed by our domestic plants and research laboratories*1 and overseas plants*2.
- *1:The domestic plants and research laboratories of Kyowa Kirin Group and Kyowa Hakko Bio Group are covered.
- *2:The overseas plants of Kyowa Hakko Kirin China Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., BIOKYOWA INC.(U.S.A.), SHANGHAI KYOWA AMINO ACID CO., LTD., and THAI KYOWA BIOTECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD. are covered.
- *3:Due to rounding, some totals may not correspond with the sum of the breakdown.
lol下注The Kyowa Kirin Group identifies how much investment was made in environmental protection and the economic effects in quantitative terms. In 2018, total investment and total costs amounted to 620 million yen and 2,885 million yen, respectively. At the new plant building constructed in the course of reorganizing plants and research laboratories, environmentally friendly facilities were installed, including highly energy-efficient equipment. The economic effect generated by recycling waste (as valuable resources) and saving energy amounted to approximately 82 million yen.
lol下注You can see this table by scrolling horizontally.
|(1) Business area cost||606||2,484||449||2,413||740||2,101|
|Details||(1)-1 Pollution prevention cost|
|1. Cost of preventing water contamination||327||1,208||259||1,145||371||980|
|2. Cost of preventing air pollution and other pollution||144||302||31||334||17||263|
|(1)-2 Global environment conservation cost||122||161||115||126||228||120|
|(1)-3 Resource circulation cost||14||813||43||808||125||737|
|(2) Upstream/downstream cost||0||7||0||23||0||91|
|(3) Administration cost||13||306||15||298||58||335|
|(4) R&D cost||0||84||0||64||0||40|
|(5) Social activity cost||0||4||0||4||0||9|
|(6) Environmental remediation cost||0||0||0||0||0||0|
(Millions of yen)
You can see this table by scrolling horizontally.
|Total investment||Expansion and rationalization of production and research facilities||
|Total R&D cost||R&D for new products and technologies||
|Sales of valuables in connection with (1)-3 and (2)||Sale of dried fungus fertilizer, used catalysts, and by-product oil||11||14||4|
|Resource-saving effects in connection with (1)-2 and (1)-3||Energy and resource conservation and waste reduction||71||52||53|
(Millions of yen)
- *1The plants and research laboratories of Kyowa Kirin Group and Kyowa Hakko Bio Group are covered.
- *2Calculated based on "Environmental Accounting Guidelines 2005 (Ministry of the Environment)".
- *3Due to rounding, some totals may not correspond with the sum of the breakdown.